Monterrey Chicken is one of my favorite ways to eat chicken. Seriously, bacon, cheese onions, what's not to love?
This version is what I came up with to get my fix while sticking with the Weight Watchers plan. You still get all of the flavors of the regular dish without the guilt. Sauteed mushrooms and fresh tomatoes are super yummy in this dish, but the hubs isn't a fan. Some day I will convert him...
I also LOVE this grilled, but this oven version is just as quick. Cooking this at 450 degrees keeps the chicken really moist while crisping the outside slightly.
We served this up with a green salad with strawberries, blue berries, red onion, pecans, low fat feta cheese and a strawberry vinaigrette. The combination was very filling!
Skinny Monterrey Chicken - 6 Points +
4-5 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (1 1/2 lbs.)
seasoning: salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, & onion powder
1/3 c. barbecue sauce (I used Kraft.)
2 slices precooked bacon, reheated and crumbled
1/3 - 1/2 c. fat free cheddar cheese, shredded
2 green onions, diced
(optional add-ons- tomatoes, mushrooms)
- Preheat oven to 450°. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with olive oil/ cooking spray.
- If desired, lightly pound chicken so that it is more uniform in thickness. Spray with olive oil cooking spray. Sprinkle seasoning over each side of chicken. (I use a lot of paprika.)
- Place on baking sheet and bake 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn chicken over.
- Bake 5 more minutes.
- Spoon equal amounts of barbecue sauce over each piece chicken. Sprinkle with bacon and onions, topping all of it with cheese.
- Return to oven and bake 5 more minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.