It may seem a little odd that the Died and Gone to Heaven Chocolate Cake is made from a devil's food cake mix, but we've all gotta start somewhere... ;) You don't want to use any other kind of chocolate cake mix, trust me. Don't mess with perfection.
Just in case all of that chocolate isn't enough for you, adding strong brewed coffee to the batter bumps up the intensity of the chocolate flavor. I know...right?? If you don't want to add coffee, just use water or milk instead.
You can cut the calories by reducing the chips to 1 cup, substituting egg beaters for part of the eggs, and using fat free sour cream. The main difference I've noticed is that the lower calorie version is more dense and doesn't rise as much. You still get all of the same flavor. I make the low cal version for us, but use the regular one for guests or special occasions.
It's amazing served warm or at room temp. Try plating it up with a big scoop of Blue Bell Vanilla Ice Cream and you'll seriously think you've died and gone to heaven!
Adapted from: AllRecipes.com
1 Devils Food Cake Mix
1 small pkg Chocolate Fudge Pudding Mix (sugar free)
1/2 c warm coffee
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
1 c light sour cream
4 eggs (or 2 eggs and 1/2 c egg substitute)
2 c semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dust and flour a 10" Bundt pan.
- Combine everything but chocolate chips in a large bowl. Mix on low until combined, scrape down sides of bowl and continue mixing on medium speed for 4 more minutes. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread into pan and bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a cooling rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar or top with a glaze before serving.