Needing a quick and easy dessert for a recent church potluck, I decided to capitalize on the ginormous (and incredibly cheap) strawberries at the store. This super simple dish was inspired by this recipe from Betty Crocker. It has a layer of brownies, a layer of sweetened cream cheese, followed by a layer of strawberries and is finished off with chocolate drizzle and toasted almonds.
Other toppings ideas:
- Basic Fruit Pizza- bananas and berries with a fruity glaze
- Black Forest: cherry pie filling (mixed with a little sugar and a splash of almond extract) with toasted almonds and shaved chocolate
- 4th of July- strawberries, raspberries and blueberries
- Hawaiian - mandarin oranges, bananas, coconut and macadamia nuts
- Caramel Mocha- pecans, toffee bits, chocolate chips and a caramel drizzle (substitute coffee for water in brownies)
- Banana Split- walnuts, chocolate chips, bananas, cherries or strawberries, whipped cream
Adapted from: Betty Crocker
Brownie Mix (box (1 lb 2.4 oz) Betty Crocker® Original Supreme Premium brownie mix
Water, vegetable oil and egg called for on brownie mix box
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
About a pound of fresh strawberries, cut in half or sliced (use more if desired)
1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
1/3 c toasted almond slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 for dark or nonstick pans). Line a 12 inch pizza pan or round cake pan with foil. Light grease the bottom of the pan (foil). This will make it easier to remove your brownie once it's cooled. If you plan to serve it in the pan, skip the foil.
- Mix up brownies according to package directions. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 2 inches from the edge comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely. Once cooled remove foil and place on serving dish. I used a large spatula to help loosen the foil from the bottom.
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla together until fluffy; spread onto brownie. Place cut strawberries on top of the cream cheese mixture. Drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with almond slices. Refrigerate for an hour or so until chilled.
- Cut into wedges and serve.