This recipe was is a version of the 2004 Pillsbury Bake-Off's Cinnamon French Toast Bake, and it's a one of my always reliable, no-fail breakfast casseroles. It brings smiles to the faces of both kids and adults. The best part is that it is super simple. You can put it together in about 10-15 minutes. Double yay!
I've lightened up the original recipe because I have a hard time eating just one serving of this casserole and wanted to feel less guilty about it. ;-) (Not that a little guilt would have stopped me.) I left out the butter. It's OK though, since I'm not "technically" a Southerner I can remove butter from recipes without losing my kitchen privileges. =P Just don't tell my Southern friends and family because they don't know it's gone.
One splurge that I do use is cinnamon coffee creamer in place of the heavy cream from the original recipe. It adds richness and I don't have to buy a container of whipping cream and let most of it go to waste. You could use fat free half and half instead. I also like to use coffee creamer in cake icing instead of milk. Yum.
Serve this lovely Cinnamon Roll Casserole with turkey sausage and fresh fruit for a delightful brunch. It reheats nicely to serve throughout the week as well.
**I recently added a new version of this popular recipe that I like even more than the original- Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Casserole! It has an amazing fall flavor.**
2 (12.4 oz) refrigerated cinnamon rolls with icing like Pillsbury (can use light cinnamon rolls)
1 3/4 c egg substitute like Egg Beaters (or 6 large eggs)
1/2 c cinnamon bun coffee creamer or half and half
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
1 c chopped pecans
1 cup light maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease an 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish.
- Cut each cinnamon roll into 8 pieces and place in dish.
- In a medium bowl whisk together egg substitute or eggs, coffee creamer, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over rolls. Sprinkle with pecans and drizzle syrup over all.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10-15 minutes (if you can wait that long!!) Remove covers from icing and microwave 5-10 seconds or until it's the perfect consistency for drizzling.
- Drizzle icing over top. Serve with additional light syrup and powdered sugar.
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Cast Party Wednesday
These Chicks Cooked
Full Plate Thursday