When I was making this (and tasting it), I kept thinking that it needed more chocolate. We're more of a dark chocolate family than a milk chocolate one, so I added a cup of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. They kind of dissolve into the cake, enhancing the chocolaty deliciousness. :-) The other change I made was to use coffee in place of the honey in the brownie ingredients and in place of the milk in the icing. It really brings out the chocolate flavor.
I will confess that I ate waaaaaaay too many of these. They stay really moist for days so I just kept going back for me. Sigh... Richard Simmons, here I come... : P I probably won't be making these for just the hubs and I again since they're so addictive, but you better believe I'll be taking these to a summer barbecue! They're way too good not to share!
Don't forget to check out the original posts listed above!
1 c butter, softened
1/2 c cocoa powder
2 Tbsp strong brewed coffee
2 c sugar
1 3/4 flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c chopped pecans
1 c semisweet chocolate chip minis
1 c marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray 9x13 dish with cooking spray.
- Mix all ingredients except pecans, chocolate chips and marshmallows. Stir in chocolate chips and pour mixture into pan. Sprinkle pecans over top and pat down slightly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted a few inches from the center comes out nearly clean. Sprinkle marshmallows on brownies an return to oven for 2-3 minutes. Remove and cool on rack.
4 oz butter, softened
3 c powdered sugar
4 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
2-3 Tbsp strong brewed coffee
- Whip butter, sugar and cocoa powder together. Once combined, add vanilla and enough coffee to reach desired consistency.
- Spread on warm brownies. It will melt into all of the nooks and crannies and help the glue the marshmallows to the brownies.